I was sick a little over a week ago. It came on all of a sudden. Sore throat, fever, chills, and an ache all over.
Since long term company was on the way, I had no time to get sick. I did all I could to recover, doubling down on pain meds, antibiotics, and rest. But my real concern was afterward. My mother is elderly and I didn’t want her catching whatever I had. As soon as I was able, I swept through the house disinfecting everything.
I wiped down the areas I used most such as the kitchen counter tops, door handles, and my phone. We don’t realize how much we touch things throughout the day. Microwaves, stove knobs, toilet handles, anything with a control panel. If I’ve touched it, I sanitize it.
• For the phone, spritz some alcohol on a lint free cloth and wipe down well.
• For my counter tops (which are granite) and door handles, I wipe those down with alcohol too.
• Sanitize the fridge and stove if you used them.
• Wash bedding. I washed everything my germy hands had touched.
• Pick up tissues. I’m actually pretty good about tossing tissues as I use them, but just in case I missed, this is the time to make sure.
• Change out your toothbrush. I do this religiously after the flu. If you think it’s just allergies, soaking your toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide is just as good.
Most cold viruses can’t live more than 24 hours outside of a host, so if you’re the one that’s sick, get your housemate to take on cleaning duties, lest he get smacked with the cold virus too.
I’ve been hearing on social media that a lot of my friends came down with some sort of crud last week. Hope all of you have recovered.