Last year we tried quail as an experiment. We decided not to over winter them and dispatched them before it got cold. Then during the winter I started cooking some of those quail, and man, were they good.
We decided to get a new batch. I don’t think I’ll over winter these either, but we’ll see. The more animals you have, the more work involved. Even if these guys are tiny, it’s still adding to the workload.
For now, I hope to raise some chicks and stock my freezer.
We were looking for bobwhite quail which are a bit bigger, but this is all we found locally. We might still add the bobwhite before the year is out if we can find them for a good price.
Ticking off my homestead list:
- the goats have had their babies
- my first batch of Ameraucana chicks are on the ground
- the cool weather crops are in the garden
- my front yard landscaping has started
- the trees have all budded
- hummingbirds should be arriving any day now.
Yup. I think spring is here in Texas. What’s on your spring (or pre-spring) checklist?