I finally figured it out. I mentioned last year on this blog that no matter how hard I tried, dusting was one of the hardest things to tackle in my house. It was dusty all the time!
Part of the problem was due to the the dogs tracking in dirt from their run. Little did I know, we were equally to blame.
Notice I said my house was dusty. Several things have changed since last year.
• I got new floors. Well, not new, but refinished. The workers sanded and buffed the floors, vacuuming with a vacuum that could probably suck out your tonsils. Now I have a nice sealed surface where dust can’t collect.
• We replaced all the filters to our air and furnace.
• We thoroughly cleaned the filter to our Roomba.
• The Roomba vacuums EVERY day, 7 days a week.
• I vacuumed all my shades and cleaned my windows.
• We removed or replaced our throw rugs.
• I washed all our bedding, including the guest rooms.
• The dogs have to go through two dirt traps before they can traipse through the rest of the house. Their doggie door is attached to my studio which I have sacrificed as the main dirt collector. As they enter from their doggie door, there’s a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting that traps the loose dirt, and a second rough coir mat they have to walk on before stepping onto the refinished wood floors. It works!
• THE BIGGIE: We no longer come into the house with shoes on. We are a shoe-free house.
• SECOND BIGGIE: I have a lot of solid wood furniture. Maybe out of laziness but I stopped polishing it with a good oil polish long ago.
I use Scott’s Liquid Gold. I prefer the pour-on type, but for some reason that can be hard to find. The aerosol works just as good though.
My house has never been cleaner. It smells better too. Another bonus: We’ve definitely had less trouble with allergies.
I wish I had done this years ago. These few steps have dramatically changed the cleanliness of my house and our health. It doesn’t take me as long to clean anymore either. Boo Yah!
Do you use any special cleaner for dusting? I’ve tried several, but Scott’s Liquid Gold has been my favorite so far. And I can’t say enough about my Roomba. I was hesitant to spend that kind of dough, but it was money well spent. Not to mention it gave me back the time I would’ve spent vacuuming by hand.