A quick tutorial on recycling empty cardboard rolls.
• Take your empty and cut 1 inch slits across one side.
• Fold the slits down until it forms a flat surface.
• Pack a little potting soil inside each tube.
• Plant your seed.
• Stand them up in a tray and water regularly.
• Once sprouted, plant tube and all directly in the ground.
Not only does it provide a collar against cutworms, but you never disturb the root system. The tube will disintegrate within the season and provide additional mulch to the soil.